About Me

My photo
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, United Kingdom
This is a blog I use to share my papercraft projects. I make them for friends and family, as well as selling them to fund my craft stash. You can get in touch with me at loumac03@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to place a commissioned order.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Sassy Storage..

So.. the day has arrived.. my FIRST EVER attempt at a photo tutorial. Please bare with me, I did do a trial run before I made the final project, but how well this is all going to go on the actual day.. we will have to see. LOL. I got this idea from Crafter's Companion. Sara comes up with such clever ideas, and I thought this would be the perfect thing to store those Sassy images ready to be coloured up.

I used Winking Student for this project, I gotta say, she is a cutie. I love her pose! She is available HERE from Funky Kits!

Introducing 'Mini Accordian Folder'..


Here is what you will need:


× x1 12"x12" sheet of heavy weight cardstock - I used Core'dinations
× x1 sheet of  medium weight cardstock - I used Rymans 200gsm coated cardstock
× Strong red tape and your normal adhesive
× Paper trimmer
× Score board
× x3 C6 envelopes
× Patterned paper - I used Basic Grey Basics White and Sassafras Indie Girl
× Your chosen Simply Sassy image - I used Winking Student


So, now you have gathered your supplies - let's start at the beginning, it's always a good place to start..

First, take your three envelopes and glue them shut - if you don't want to lick and stick, your normal adhesive would do fine. You then want to cut all three envelopes in half as shown..



Next.. take your medium weight cardstock and cut to 6"x4.5". This strip will form the 'accordian' part of the folder. You will need to score this strip along the 6" side at every half an inch. TOP TIP: score at every inch on one side, then flip over and score at every half inch, this way you will have scored opposite sides and this will help to make well creased mountain and valley folds.


Next, onto the front and back panels.. take your heavy weight cardstock and cut a strip 4.5" wide, continue to cut this into a strip 5.5" long and another 3.5" long.


Take the 4.5"x5.5" cardstock and score at 3.5" and 4.5" along the 5.5" side as shown..


Crease your scorelines, this will form the back panel and front flap of the accordian folder.

This is where you should be now:


Next up is adhering it all together..

Take the 'accordian' base and turn it so the two end panels are pointing up, apply some red tape (any strong adhesive will do) as shown and attach the back panel.


After you have attached the back panel, this is how the accordian base should look - apply more red tape to every other strip, this is where you will attatch the envelopes.


Now that my envelopes have been attached, this is how the folder should look. All that is left to do now is decorate the front cover, attatch it to the folder and glue the tops of the envelopes together to get the 'accordian' effect when you open it out.


I have my supplies out ready to decorate my front cover. I used Winking Student as well as some papers from Sassafras Indie Girl collection, I have stitched strips and added a sentiment on Kraft cardstock. Perfect.


Add a strip of red tape to the last strip on the accordian folder, apply some regular adhesive on the back of the front panel, leaving about an inch at the top to tuck the flap in, and adhere all to the very front envelope. Stand the folder up and ensure all envelopes match up. Apply a strip of regular adhesive along the edge of each envelope to attach them to each other - this will create the 'accordian' effect when you open the folder.


This is the final result.. each section (6 in total) can be used to house different Sassy images. Keep them safe ready for colouring, or you could have a few pockets dedicated to coloured images ready to use on projects if that's how you roll! :)



So there you have it. I do hope you give it a go and test drive the tutoiral for me! If you have any questions, or if the photos aren't clear enough please let me know and I'll do what I can to help!

I'll admit - that wasn't as scary as I thought! Yipee. Keep your eyes peeled for another Sassy tutorial I have coming up very soon! xo Lou.

4 comments:

  1. Love it Love it Love it! mmm I will have to try it now!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this fantasic tut Lou. Very easy to follow and love the gorgeous Sassy on the front.

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic tutorial lou and the finished result is stunning.i love the sassy you have used and fab colours :D
    thanks for sharing.

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant idea & one I really want to have a go at. Presumably the Ryman 200 gsm coated is the same as that recommended for ProMarkers/Copics colouring?? Sorry to give you another question.This is lovely & clear & I especially like the detail about the scoring & I particularly like that you've used inches - much more versatile & user friendly for the US too.
    Hope your exams are going OK.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Thanks for taking the time to look. xo Lou.

Search My Blog

My Fellow Craft-o-Holic Followers

Total Pageviews