About Me

My photo
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, United Kingdom
This is a blog I use to share my papercraft projects. I make them for friends and family, as well as selling them to fund my craft stash. You can get in touch with me at loumac03@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to place a commissioned order.

Monday 30 December 2013

2013 Favourites

.. so I tried to limit myself to 10 cards.. it didn't happen. This post has been a long while in the process, and I know that you may not want to read all of my waffle - if not, just have a flick through some of my projects, and if you do - grab a mug of your favourite liquid and join me.. I'll meet you at the end. 

****************** ************* ************** ***************** 

I realise that as the years go on (this will have been my 3rd Christmas since I started crafting in early December of 2010) - I make more and more cards each year. Whether it be commissions, personal cards, or orders placed by my friends, the number of creations seems to increase each year.

.. and that is no bad thing. It just means this post on the 31st December each year will be that bit longer. Maybe 2014 will see me a little more decisive and choose less for better reasons.

****************** ************* ************** ***************** 

Let's start.

My Favourite Cards of 2013


#1 - I think this is the first example I have of the ambition to create a 'scene' on my card. I teamed up Some Odd Girl - Renew goodness with some PaperCraft Junkie commissioned pieces and her castle! I also love the colours I used on this card - the mustard yellow dress looks lovely with the aqua flags and torrents.  


#2 - This was the last card I made for my Grandma before she passed away in hospital earlier in the year. She left it on her windowsill the entire time she was in there! :) It was a 'feel better' / 'happy Mother's day' card combined. I love this image from Saturated Canary, all of that hair is a treat to colour, and I used up some of my older My Mind's Eye paper - love that woodgrain.

This card now lives on my mirror in the living room as a happy memory. Loved the bones of that woman.


#3 - This was the first time I ever coloured up a Redonkadoodles image, and I loved it. I added a lot of detail to the area of the shoe with some little flower stamps. The Rendonkadoodles designs are so clean and a dream to colour! :) Highly recommend them. I also picked this card as it's so blingy, girly and in your face. Not my style at all, but I really pushed the boat out and gave the lady what she asked, gold glitter tape and all! :)


#4 - I LOVE creating designs like this. The base of them is just clean and graphic, then I go crazy with embellishments and fonts. I used some Bling card from Bazzill as well as a bunch of WOC goodness, Lawn Fawn alpha stamps, Thickers, The Ribbon Girl ribbon, lace and mesh.. aaaaaaaand a whole load of love. Such a clean colour combo and that diamond embossing will never get old! 


#5 - This Some Odd Girl clear stamp Fairy Magic REALLY spoke to me when I received it in the post from the lovely Kristy. I created this card when I was part of the SOG DT - and I just knew I had to colour her up with blue hair! I went C-RAZY with embellishments on this card, I think it took me over two days to lay it all out in a way I was happy. 


#6 - Where to start? Not 100% sure why I picked this as a favourite - all I know it.. I LOVED making it. I think this may well be one of the first times, if not thee first time I used a huge flower on a card. I'm not certain on the type of flower that large white one is, but it's definitely from WOC and I love it!! This Saturated Canary image is a treat - I LOVE her big hair and that gorgeous bow. The papers from Teresa Collins are too pretty - I gotta use them more next year - if I haven't sickened myself with reds after Christmas.


#7 - This was possibly the first time I posted a card on my blog with a background I had attempted with my ProMarkers. I used to use a sponge and stencil to create a clouded background, but I made a promise to myself to push my colouring a little further this year, and with this, I think I succeeded. It's a given that those clouds are looking a little - flat - it can't be helped. I was doing what I could with the experience given. None. Hah!! 


#8 - Another first on my blog.. I think this card was the first I posted where I showed my attempt at no lines colouring. This card was for my friends little girl who turned 1 earlier in the year. I love the princesses from TGF for little girls cards. :) I used papers from My Minds Eye (love) and I die cut my very own doily using an Xcut die. 


#9 - The layout of this card made me wanna die. If I didn't make OOAK cards, I think I'd just go along with this one every single time. Same die cuts, same flowers, same postage edges - everything. Given, it took me a fair few hours to lay it out how I liked, but I loved it. This card was so well received that the girl who ordered it from me asked for another similar design using different colours for another friend.


#10 - Decoupage? We'll go with that. Said I'd never really be into it. I'm into it!! This was a birthday card for one of my friends and she really loved it. I think designs like this are super impressive. I do love that little squirrel, too. 


#11 - This was another attempt at no lines colouring using an older Sugar Nellie stamp. I created this card for my nieces 18th birthday. I also created my own background with some hills and a beautiful sunset which can just be seen behind the heaps of embellishments.


#12 - Another background, this one was influenced by my boyfriend. He suggested some mountains in the background, so I ran with it. Really love how it turned out - it suits this little dragon from Tiddly Inks perfectly!! I also thought I'd best throw in a male card too. It's not that I don't enjoy making them, I really do like making male cards - it's just that the opportunity never really calls all that much!!


#13 - I've really fallen back in love with Tiddly Inks over the past few weeks - this card is no exception. I crammed so much into this card, yet made sure the image still spoke volumes. I adapted my clouded background a little to include a little more white into the design. I simply outlined the shape of my clouds with my colours for sky - simples. Ahhh, lovely, girly, detailed card.

****************** ************* ************** ***************** 

I hope I've provided sufficient links where I thought links were necessary, if there is anything you have questions about feel free to email me at loumac03@gmail.com and I'll be happy to help you out. I realise that this post has gone on for an eternity, so I'ma wrap it up around about NOW..

I gotta be honest, I only have a few observations from this year:
-My fear of 6x6" cards has been eradicated. Hallelujah. 
- I'm not as scared of pink as I used to be.
- Embellishment overload? ..and what? I do love my buttons and ribbons and liquid pearls especially.
- Matting and layering is my thing - I never thought it would be.
- I feel myself (eventually) gradually moving away from faux stitching.

****************** ************* ************** ***************** 

Hopefully.. I will continue to learn and grow throughout the next year. None of those things listed above are necessarily bad things, and I will continue to create in a way which makes me happy - above all else. Of course, that's what we craft for in the first place, right?

Thank you for sticking with me to the end. If you have any New Years celebrations planned this year - ENJOY!! .. and I'll see you all in 2014! xo

4 comments:

  1. A gorgeous selection hun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Lou, it was like I was talking to you! And I love every single one of your cards, here and in general. I love your layouts, details, embellies, colours, papers, the lot. And I could stab you for your colouring ;)
    Happy 2014, wherever that takes you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these are stunning lou.a fantastic selection :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Thanks for taking the time to look. xo Lou.

Search My Blog

My Fellow Craft-o-Holic Followers

Total Pageviews